Not this year. They called the ones last week incomplete; I figured this one would be too. Now if green bay had recovered it instead of grant.... I would have been interested in if would have been called consistently.
No flag when a green bay defender picks up a receiver and slams him HEAD FIRST in the ground?
That should be a suspension....
This is a chance for Sudfeld to step up. He seems to be playing himself off the roster....if there was another QB that was fighting him for a roster spot. Davis reaching back and taking that one pass away kept it from being intercepted.
I don't know about that. with what Kelley showed last year and the lack of competition in the backfield, I would be surprised if he got cut.
Kelley had a couple of nice games but was ineffective in the last six games when the season was on the line -- he is JAG--IMO
I would rather see Perine as the starter, Mack Brown as his back up and Chris Thompson as the 3rd down back. Kelly just seems slow to the hole to me. Sure, the OL sucked tonight and didn't give him much room to do anything, but I just think that Brown and Perine are better runners. I really wish they would give Brown more work with the starters just to see what he could do.
Clearly an unprepared, unskilled, lower tier team.
This is going to be a long year.
Missing their best player.
Let's not get carried away with the criticism. This is the preseason.
Who? Reed? Please. One player changes nothing. Still can't run, passing game out of sync. I know playing down preseason is a constant here but all 32 teams have the same approach. But not all look bad doing it.
The starting offense looked bad. The big problem I noticed was we kept trying to run the ball on first down and were getting absolutely nothing from it. That goes into the narrative of it being pre season, because in the regular season we certainly wouldn't do that when we're a much better passing team. This is why people need to stop with the "we need to run the ball more." Do what you do best. In our case, its the vertical passing game spreading them out wide. When we did that we were much more successful. We did have a dropped Davis pass and Cousins missed a wide open Crowder. Little things that should get polished going into the regular season.
Ultimately its pre season so I don't get too worked up. I remember John Beck having a brilliant game in the 2011 pre season and it didn't amount to anything. We looked like gang busters in the 2013 pre season and still went 3-13. Gruden in particular seems to use the pre season to work on the team's shortcomings, as was the case tonight focusing on running the football.
I will say though, I'm not sure why Ryan effing Grant keeps getting so much playing time. Everytime I watch him he's not getting open or dropping passes. If he is starting over Doctson in Week 1 I'm going to puke.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei
Post by SkinsFan67 on Aug 19, 2017 22:53:26 GMT -5
Just some thoughts on the game.
1) Something that has been on my mind the past two seasons. Kirk seems to be a slow starter out of the gate. Last year he got minimal work in the Preseason and it took him a good 3 games to get going good. I was really happy to see Gruden play him and the 1st team offense for a full half. Again a slow start, but I'm hoping the extra work in PS will translate to a quicker start once the regular season starts. I wouldn't mind seeing Kirk and Co go 3 quarters or even into the 4th quarter next week.
2) Phil Taylor just locked down the NT job. Kind of cool to find out he grew up a Skins fan, and now he's playing here.
3) VD looks good. I said at the end of the '16 season he was my #2 guy to extend/re-sign after Kirk. With Reed always missing time, a guy like him is crucial.
4) Favorite part of the game was seeing Niles Paul score a TD. And then his play on ST, he locked up his spot if it was ever in doubt.
5) Robert Davis was another ST demon tonight. And then he showed some skills as a receiver. I think he locked up the #6 WR spot based on his ST work and the promise he is showing on offense. Quick is the odd man out here.
6) Moreau is going to be really good. He might not win a starting job this year, but I think he will be a key contributor on D and ST and challenge for a starting CB job next year.
7) I'm rooting hard for Marley. I love his effort, but I think he is a PS guy this year if he doesn't get poached by another team (looking at you effing Indy). I wonder if he would be getting as much attention by the media if his last name wasn't Marley.
8) What the eff is going on with the OL in run blocking. After last week, I wasn't concerned about pass protection based on what they did last year, and they showed mid-season form in pass pro. But I haven't seen any improvement in run blocking. I'm just mystified by what's going on there.
9) Perine redeemed himself tonight IMO. I felt that last week his issues were mostly due to 1st NFL game jitters. He still has work to do especially in the run blocking game, but I liked what I saw from him running the ball.
10) I liked the combo of Foster/Brown. I think this will be the week one starting duo. But I think Spaight can take Foster's job if he can stay healthy and continue to perform like he did tonight when he gets his opportunities.
11) Sudfeld doesn't deserve a spot on the 53. He's no better now than he was a year ago this time. Cut his ass now. We should go with 2 QB and use the extra spot somewhere else.
12) If that had been a Skins defender picking up the WR and pile driving him into the turf, there would have been 8 flags on the field. WTF!!
13) Best way to get opposing fans to come together...pipe in "Sweet Caroline" over the PA system...:Ba Ba Baaaaa!". Real kumbaya moment.
"You have 11 guys coming at you on every play. Either you are going to bring it or you are going to receive it." Derrius Guice