OT: Words Of Advice Nov 3, 2018 20:54:55 GMT -5 via mobile
Post by 1afn1 on Nov 3, 2018 20:54:55 GMT -5
I had a full work up done last Spring and I checked out OK, but there are times I question if the docs might have missed something. I feel fine 90 percent of the time but still wonder about the other 10 percent.
I'm an avid hiker, rafter, kayker...just your general mountain lover. I did what I do every summer, I sojourned to upper northcentral PA to the Pine Creek Gorge and enjoyed God's country. Came home, did more of the same (but it's NJ, so...). August 31, I was feeling great. September 1, not so much. After nearly six weeks of prodding I went to the doctors. After many tests came back normal and a nuclear stress test didn't show anything - three critical blockages to the heart: two the right and one to the left. Two over 95% blocked, one 100% blocked. I never felt a thing. It was very nearly too late, so I am very fortunate to have survived the stress of the hikes at all. I thought it was acid reflux.
My advice: If you feel like you have acid reflux and your 25, it's probably acid reflux. If you're 49 please go to the doctor ASAP if you have chest pain. I waited thinking I knew better and got lucky. I am headed to the hospital on Monday for a triple bypass. So at least I get to enjoy a win vs Atlanta first!
They did an EKG and nuclear stress test and both came back ok. The stress test revealed possible minor issue in the back wall of the heart, but nothing remarkable.
Ultimately, they ignored the tests and went wuth my symptoms and performed a catheterization. Thats when the blockages were revealed.
The cardiologist said he didn't know how I was still alive. They did not recommend stents because it would require too many. They didn't think it would be a favorable outcome in tbe long term.
What I don't get and my wife is mad about is why they scheduled the surgery instead of doing it last week. She is on eggshells.